Tuesday, September 28

Butternut Squash Pizza

So it's been a while! The 2009 year definitely improved my cooking skills.

I thought I'd start posting what I cook and how I adjust recipes to what I want.

Yesterday I wanted something yummy for dinner with butternut squash that wasn't soup, pasta or galette. I searched epicurious for butternut squash and sage. I found pizza: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-Parmesan-and-Sage-Pizzas-11360

So I altered the recipe in these ways.
For the sauce - I brought 1c milk + .5 c cream to a simmer with a large handful of sage, oregano and thyme from the garden and let it steep off the heat for 20 minutes - then squeezed the herbs dry and tossed them out. Then I smooshed in 1 head of roasted garlic, added chopped sage and thyme, the 2T of flour and cooked.

For the squash - I cooked it at 420 for 35 minutes (it doesn't turn brown) (i cooked it along with the garlic for the sauce).

For the toppings - I cooked 6 shallots on low heat for an hour; took a sliced red pepper out of the freezer to thaw; grated some parmesan and gruyere; chopped four fresh tomatoes from the garden, and finally finely chopped some more sage and thyme.

Assembling & Cooking - I prebake my pizza dough for 15 minutes - poke any bubbles and then add toppings. Cook for an additional 30-40 minutes. Also - I want one lg pizza not four small ones.

YUM!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh YUM! and welcome back! i've missed your postings here so much :)

Tabitha said...

Thanks Sarah!