Thursday, February 21

Pop - Successfull Sealing!


I've never liked Marmalade but I figure maybe it's because I haven't made it myself....I'm not sure I like it made by me either. I'm processing the last batch as I write this - a 15 minute hot water bath for the smaller jars - I'm done with the larger ones.

In my opinion most jelly and jam recipes have faulty instructions for determining when the jelly is "set". Almost all say when "the one drop becomes a sheet off the spoon it is done" - usually that means your jelly is entirely overcooked. So here is a picture of first and slightly undercooked jelly and then a just right jelly (in my humble opinion).

If you compare the base of the drop of jelly in the first picture to the second picture you will notice a much wider base in the second. That I believe is the key to making good jelly - no it doesn't "sheet" off - it drips off and pulls from a wide base of the spoon. You'll also notice in there is less of an O with a belt shape in the second picture - the drip is more sloping.

Also you will notice I use the back of the spoon - I find this to be a much better method of looking at the drip - if you use the concave part of the spoon the liquid wells up at the base and then spills over and it's difficult to get an accurate look at the liquid because it all wants to spill over. However, if you watch the liquid drip off in a nice slow non hurried fashion off the reverse side of the spoon - you'll get a much more accurate look at it's thickness/viscosity.

Anyway that's my rant. This Seville Orange Marmalade has been a three day process. Tuesday: wash the oranges, juice the oranges, strain the juice, slice the peel, add an equal volume of water as juice/peel, let sit in cool place 24 hrs. Wednesday: Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and gently simmer 20 minutes. Today: measure liquid, bring liquid to a boil and add 2 T balsamic vinegar, gently simmer 20 minutes, add an equal volume of sugar as liquid measured at the start, bring to a boil and then simmer 35 minutes (till done) add 1 teaspoon bitters. Process.

1 comment:

Eppie said...

Great tips on the jelly making doneness Tab! I'm excited to try more jellies this summer. I meant to bring some up at Christmas for you guys, but I forgot them, so I will send up some stuff with Sarah.
One interesting use of marmalade, I have seen a chocolate orange cake call for orange marmalade, I can find the recipe if you think it sounds good. Also, at the bakery, we make marmalade rolls with the croissant dough rolled up and cut like cinnamon rolls and they are tasty.